Pages

Thursday, September 08, 2011

O.K., Rick, Let's Do That

In the GOP debate last night, candidate Rick Perry said, "Maybe it's time to have some provocative language in this country and say things like, 'Let's get America working again and do whatever it takes to make it happen.'"

Whatever?  O.K. President Obama will present a jobs package tonight, so let's see how many Republicans will vote for it.  The jobs package will be a "whatever." Shall we place bets on the votes?

Want more "provocative language," here's something that all the GOPers who are babbling on about "job creation" need to remember:  Jobs are created from the bottom up, not the top down: Demand, then supply. 

A manufacturer of widgets doesn't wake up one day and say, "Oh, look, I just got a nice tax break, I think I'll go out and hire 10 people to make more widgets, even though nobody's buying my widgets because they have no jobs and no money to buy widgets and so I've got a warehouse full of widgets I can't sell, but with this nice tax break, what the hell, I think I'll just go make more of them that I can then store in another warehouse."

Or, as what has actually happened too many times, "Oh, look, nice tax breaks for moving my widget company off shore, so I'll lay off all my American workers, hire Indian workers and make bazillions of widgets to sell to the Chinese, then lobby Republicans in Congress to vote to get even more tax breaks on all my nice profit. After all, I'm a 'job creator!'"

So please think about that "provocative" reality the next time you hear some GOPer talking about "job creation" and "job creators," and "job creating tax breaks."

Thank you.

No comments: