Pages

Sunday, February 24, 2013

Your Sunday Poem

This from the Feb 11 New Yorker by W.S. Merwin.

To These Eyes

You only ones
I ever knew
you that have shown me
what I came to see
from the beginning
just as it was leaving
you that showed me the faces
in the realms of summer
the rivers the moments of gardens
all the roads that led here
the smiles of recognition
the silent rooms at nightfall
and have looked through the glasses
my mother was wearing when she dies
you that I have never seen
except nowhere in a mirror
please go on showing me
faces you led me to
daylight the bird moment
the leaves of morning
as long as I look
hoping to catch sight
of what has not yet been seen



1 comment:

Sewertoons AKA Lynette Tornatzky said...

A lovely poem for a lovely Sunday, thanks Ann! So often we see without "seeing." A great reminder, this.