Pages

Saturday, March 23, 2013

A Dream Come True?

My computer keyboard's "e" key finally got permanently stuck.  Kinda hard to type anything without an "e." so I headed down to Staples to get a new keyboard and there, mirable visu! was the keyboard of my dreams:

I live in a house of sand and dust and dog hair.  It is a Sisyphean task to keep clean, 24/7 dusting and vacuuming and washing is futile since an hour after dusting, there's a new layer.  So, there I was in Staples looking at keyboards when suddenly, there it was; a new type of keyboard -- A WASHABLE keyboard, with the keys floating above a flat board like little square plastic mushrooms on fat little pillars. It's a Logitech and -- if it indeed works as planned -- when it becomes filled to the brim with dust, sand and dog hairs, I can  just unplug it, slip the little protective cap on the USB port, run it under warm water with a little spritz of dish-washing liquid, let it drain and dry and I'll be good to go.

No more running through cans of compressed air or poking around with a brush and pin to fish dog hair out of the crevices like I had to constantly do on the old style keyboards.  With this one, there are no crevices. The pillars keep the keys floating above the dust and hair so a quick blow sends them all scattering off the flat surface.

Woo-hoo.  Now, let's hope the washable part works also, though it's so flat and crevice-free it doesn't look like it would actually need washing, just a quick wipe with a damp microfiber cloth.

No comments: