Don't Drink the Water. No, Really. Don't Drink It. There Isn't Any More.
The following is a DRAFT from the planning commission for Los Osos. So, if you haven't already done so, do change out your toilets and showerheads to Lo-Flow, xerescape your yard, and . . . don't' drink the water.
1. Recommend to the Board of Supervisors that Level of Severity III be certified for water supply in the Los Osos groundwater basin
2. The County of San Luis Obispo become the lead agency to implement the following recommendations.
3. That water purveyors continue to immediately implement the measures recommended in the Sea Water Intrusion Assessment.
4. S&T Mutual Water Co. should install meters and adopt an ascending water rate structure as described above.
5. All water purveyors should immediately adopt an ascending water rate structure as described in the RCS.
6. All water purveyors should adopt mandatory retrofit measures that will reduce water demand by 15% 30% by the year 2010 compared to 2001 usage.
7. Best management practices for agricultural water use shall be encouraged.
8. Secure supplemental water supplies in sufficient quantity, when combined with conservation measures, to meet demand at projected buildout.
7. The County adopt an ordinance that prohibits new subdivisions that result in the net increase in water usage from the basin.
8. Adopt an ordinance to institute water conservation requirements for parcels outside of water purveyor service areas that mirror the efforts undertaken by purveyors within their service areas.
9. Adopt an ordinance requiring all water purveyors with 5 or more connections to meter individual connection water use.
10. Reduce the build out figure for Los Osos in the Estero Area plan from 28,000 to 19,713.
11. A temporary moratorium be instituted for all new development that results in a net increase in water use from the basin until overall basin water use is reduced by at least 600 AFY over 2001 data.