Pages

Friday, July 04, 2008

Calhoun’s Cannons, The Bay News,Tolosa Press, SLO, Ca for July 3,08


A Visit from “Uncle Phil”

It wasn’t my fault. Honest. It wasn’t.

I first noticed something was wrong when I grabbed a branch of my huge, beautiful pale pink mallow bush and the whole thing fell over. The main trunk looked like it had been gnawed off by a beaver. Then the mounds appeared in the front yard and I knew who had arrived – gophers.

I couldn’t use poison for fear the sick or dying creature would escape its burrow to become a deadly meal for my canine crew or any passing crow or hawk. Plus, poisoning is an ugly business, even if the critters are trying to eat up my front yard, so I thought I’d try a different tack.

For some reason, the gophers didn’t seem to bother the salvias, so I started planting salvias. Chemical warfare -- a no-kill method of discouraging the gophers while also xeriscaping the front yard with plants that were not only drought resistant, but came in an endless variety of colors and sizes. And lavender plants, too. Apparently, those didn’t appeal to the gopher’s palate either.

Oddly enough, neither did geraniums. Or rock roses. Or the giant four o’clocks, with their sweet-potato-sized tubers. And so our battle of the edibles continued until the furry beasts upped the ante by downing another mallow.

Then, out came the wallet. No more Mrs. Nice Person. “Kill’ em painlessly in their burrows,” said the package of smoke bombs. “Koff-Koff-Koff, ” said the gophers, gleefully digging more holes. “Environmentally safe castor oil spray drives ‘em away,” guaranteed the environmentally safe castor oil spray bottle. The gophers didn’t drive anywhere, but more of my money sure did. “Use those beeping gopher stakes. They work like a charm,” assured one of my blog posters. Pounding dollar bills into the ground would have worked better, since one gopher even pushed up a huge mound right next to the beeping stake. Clearly, my gophers were into heavy metal music.

Like some awful uninvited obnoxious drunk at your nice weekend party, no amount of less-than-lethal hints that maybe it was time to move on worked. Not smoke, not sprays, not loud music.

And then the gophers went too far. Coming out in the early morning to get the paper, I noticed a huge gopher mound right smack dab in the middle of one of the old wine-barrel planters. The arrogant, rotten little scoundrel had come right up through the bottom of the planter and there on the walkway lay a huge pile of gnawed off yellow nasturtiums.

Well, that was that. Nobody messes with my yellow nasturtiums. Nobody.

That’s when my neighbor Phil got a phone call. Soon his tall, lanky figure ambled down the dirt road. Was that High Plains Drifter music I heard wafting in the background or merely the metallic clank from a pair of evil-looking, deadly metal gopher traps dangling from his hand?

He gazed earthward with Clint Eastwoodian narrowed eyes, and with slow, practiced movements he probed the ground with an enormously long screwdriver, then dug and carefully placed the traps. All while counseling patience since, as he noted, it often takes a while to round ‘em up and head’ em up to Heaven.

Days passed, traps were triggered but empty, then moved and moved again. Finally, Phil and his wife Candy walked down early one morning to check the lines. A firm tug and out popped a dead, sickly-sweet smelling, thoroughly decomposing gopher, his damp fur matted, his huge incisors gleaming yellow in the sun.

Before I could even get in a quick prayer for the rotten little guy’s soul, the sight of my mallow-chomping enemy suddenly turned me into a goggle-eyed, growling, fist-pumping Tusken Raider from Star Wars. “ Rrrooooaaggghh, Rrroooaagghhh!” I howled, jerking my arms skyward. Then to add insult to mortal injury, I bent down to the tunnel to evilly croon in my best Baby Jane sing-song, “Yooo hoo, Oh little gopheeees, Uncle Phil The Gopher Killer is here. Sweeeet dreeeeeems. Heeee-heeeee-heeee.”

“Careful,” said Candy, sipping on her coffee. “Or PETA will come pay you a visit.”

“Let them,” I snarled, unrepentant. “I gave those rotten crummy little varmints every chance in the book to take the hint and go away. But did they listen? They did not.”

“I’ll be back,” said Phil, resetting the traps.

“Heh-heh,” I replied, taking my smelly dead prize to the garbage can.

Like I said. It wasn’t my fault. They made me do it.

5 comments:

Ron said...

Great piece, Ann. Funny.

Ann wrote:

"Careful,” said Candy, sipping on her coffee. “Or PETA will come pay you a visit.”

“Let them,” I snarled, unrepentant. “I gave those rotten crummy little varmints every chance in the book to take the hint and go away. But did they listen? They did not."


When you write, "rotten crummy little varmints," are you talking about the gophers, or PETA? ; - )

Is a cat out of the question because of your dogs?

When I see a gopher popping its head out of its hole, I go find my cat, "Bugs" (usually asleep) -- she's all but about two pounds, and one bad-ass mo-fo -- and then I pick her up and take her out to the fresh gopher hole, and put her face right up to the hole so she gets a whiff, and, usually, that's that.

She's so awesome. She'll just sit there, for as long as it takes, with her ears pointed at the hole, and then, BAM! -- Au revoir gophair.

Of course, she has to bring it back in the house to show off, but hey, she eventually consumes it... somewhere.

That's gotta leave PETA scratching their heads, huh? Sure, the gopher goes the way of Bugs' razor sharp, lightning fast claws, but she's an "A," too, and she gets a tasty treat out of the deal. That's "ethical", isn't it, PETA?

Mike Green said...

People
Eating
Tasty
Animals.... PETA


Thanks Ann, great article.

Just got back for the second moving load, had to drive through the smoke up 101 near Ukiah, man is it thick up there!

Mike Green said...

Miniature dachshund gnaws off diabetic owner's toe
ABC News.
ALTON, Ill. - An Illinois woman says her beloved miniature dachshund gnawed off her right big toe while she was asleep. Linda Floyd told the Alton Telegraph for a story Wednesday that her beloved Roscoe was euthanized because of safety concerns.
Pets
Eating
Tasty
Americans.......PETA

Churadogs said...

hahahahah.

Ron, can't have any cats because my dogs would love to chase little kittles, HOWEVER, the neighbor has some cats and she claims he's a rodent killer and I see him often sitting in the front yard. I cheer him on, but so far as I know he hasn't coaught any of the varmints. Though it's hard to say. My other neighbor has a huge expanse of yard filled with gopeher holes (once in a while he's seen the Great Blue Heron out stilt-legging it around the back 40 looking for gopheees. Apparently got successful once), so I don't know if my neighbor's cat's over stuffed with eats.

The gopher did pop up a few times in the back yard, but probably did it at night when all the dogs are asleep inside. They've been mighty interested in the mounds, but since my other neighbor told me she poisins her gophers, I'm concerned when I see any mounds in the back. Might be a sick gopher coming up for air and don't want to risk a secondary kill -- i.e dead dog.
\
Mike. Talked to a man in the gallery wehere I work, from Chico. Said the smoke was reeeeeeeely bad. The Times had a little fire map and there's LOTS of blazes up there.

Well, it's the smell of the future, that's for sure.

Realistic1 said...

Ann,

I am blessed with my neighbor's cat "Smokey" who sits, unflinchingly, for hours on end waiting for one of those nasty varmints to poke it's ugly little head out of it's freshly drilled hole.

I have never before witnessed a cat with such unwavering patience - moving nary a muscle - who can then pounce at exactly the right moment to snatch the little offender from the presumed safety of his hole.

I have only witnessed an actual catch once myself, but Smokey's owners tell me he regularly deposits the spoils of his hunt squarely at their back door - as if to say..."look what I brought you!"

Not having animals myself, I am grateful for the assistance of my four-legged neighbor, as I have not seen a new hole in quite some time. I think the word is out in the gopher community - STAY AWAY FROM THAT YARD - SMOKEY'S ON THE JOB!

Cheers,

Real 1