Pages

Friday, April 10, 2009

Awwww, Gawwwwd, It’s, Like, Sooooo Embarrassing

So, like everyone knows that California is THE cutting edge, the sharp point of all that’s new and happening and progressive and forward looking, the avatar of the Future, the state that is the state of Firsts!

So guess whose Supreme Court just declared that outlawing gay marriage was unconstitutional and that there was no compelling state reason to continue to outlaw it? Iowa. IOWA???

Then the state legislature of Vermont. . . . VERMONT, fer crying out loud, voted to override their Governor to make gay marriage legal because they couldn’t find any compelling state reason to keep it illegal any more. VERMONT!

And then there’s progressive, ahead of the curve California wherein our state supreme court first said they couldn’t find any compelling state reason to ban gay marriage so that law was struck down as unconstitutional and a whole bunch of gay people got married amidst much whoop-eee-dooping, until the Mormon Church and the Catholic Church funneled a whole lot of money into the state and the progressive, forward-looking, I believe in equal civil rights folks of California voted to make gay marriage illegal again, thereby setting up a weird two-tiered system: Straight people and some gay people get all the full rights and responsibilities and benefits of “marriage,” while all other identical gay people get zip --second-class treatment – no marriage for them!

Meanwhile, in Iowa and Vermont, the message is clear. Their constitution and/or legislature think gay citizens are equal to straight citizens and should share the same rights and responsibilities. Imagine! But not in California.

Aw, Gaaawwwd, it’s sooo embarrassing.

Well, the Mormons and Catholics and various conservative groups better start shoveling money into Iowa and Vermont to rabble-rouse the population with threats that all those gay Iowans and Vermonters will soon start molesting all the children, destroying straight marriage, teaching gayness in school and, as part of their Gay Agenda, use their special powers to blight the corn crops in Iowa and kill off all the Vermont maple trees, thereby destroying the maple industry of the state, bringing down wrack and ruin to the bedrock of America, Gawd help us all!

Or, as political cartoonist Carlson had it: two guys standing by a fence, barns and silos behind them. Says one, "Only a state full of latte-sipping, arugula-eating, fashion-conscious, boundry-pushing libertines would sanction gay marriage." Replied the other guy: "That's Iowa for ya!"

Oh, The horror, the horror.

4 comments:

Bev. De Witt-Moylan said...

AND Massachusetts AND Connecticut

Watershed Mark said...

RED SKELTON'S RECIPE FOR THE PERFECT MARRIAGE

1. Two times a week we go to a nice restaurant, have a little beverage, good food and companionship. She goes on Tuesdays, and I go on Fridays.

2. We also sleep in separate beds. Hers is in California, and mine is in Texas .

3. I take my wife everywhere, but she keeps finding her way back.

4. I asked my wife where she wanted to go for our anniversary.
'Somewhere I haven't been in a long time!' she said? So I suggested the kitchen.

5. We always hold hands. If I let go, she shops.

6. She has an electric blender, electric toaster and electric bread maker. She said 'There are too many gadgets, and no place to sit down!' So I bought her an electric chair.

7. My wife told me the car wasn't running well because there was water in the carburetor. I asked where the car was. She told me, 'In the lake.'

8. She got a mud pack, and looked great for two days. Then the mud fell off.

9. She ran after the garbage truck, yelling, 'Am I too late for the garbage?' The driver said, 'No, jump in!'

10. Remember: Marriage is the number one cause of divorce.

11. I married Miss Right. I just didn't know her first name was Always.

12. I haven't spoken to my wife in 18 months. I don't like to
interrupt her.

13. The last fight was my fault though. My wife asked, 'What's on the TV?' I said, 'Dust!'

These were the good old days when humor didn't have to start with a four letter word. It was just clean and simple fun. And he always ended his programs with the words, “Good night and may God bless.”


with Liberty and Justice for all.

Amen! Born, unborn, accused, innocent, black, white, red, yellow, Christian, Jew, Moslem, Buddhist, Hindu, atheist, agnostic, regardless of nationality, gay, strait, etc., etc, etc,

Churadogs said...

Except, in so many states, (and the federal tax codes & etc) equal justice under law for gay folks remains elusive. And, to date, I'm still waiting for the answer to my original question; What is the compelling STATE reason for denying the benefits and responsibilities of what we commonly call "marriage, which is a CIVIL contract the STATE oversees that we now deny to gay couples?

I get the "holy" part. Churches, under our CIVIL, SECULAR government are pretty much free to do what they want, short of breaking certain state, civil laws. ("Marrying" 14 year old girls to 30 year-old men may be an O.K. religious practice in some quarters, but it remains a civil no-no, not to mention practicing human sacrifice.) But take away all the religious trappings of "marriage," and we back to the original question:What's the STATE's compelling justification for denying this CIVIL contract to gay couples?

FOGSWAMP said...

Is pederasty the answer to overpopulation?

I guess equality under the law is what it's all about.

Mark - As an really old person (when I was a small boy, the dead sea was just sick) I really enjoyed Red Skelton. Good clean humor void of profanity.

I remember when he interviewed Margaret Thatcher and used the word "ain't" in a sentence and she said to him "Don't you know the Queens english, the word is am not? He replied "Oh, but I do know the Queen is English".

Thanks for that my wife and I really enjoyed it.