Pages

Sunday, March 25, 2012

Your Sunday Recipe

Passover and Easter are just around the corner.  I stumbled on a new (to me) recipe in an article by Adam Rapoport, editor-in-chief of Bon Appetite magazine for Matzo brei (rhymes with "fry"). When I made up the dish, which is beyond fast and easy, I couldn't figure out what it reminded me of.  Mr. Rapoport writes, "Just what is matzo brei?  Depends on who you ask.  Some prefer this mixture of beaten eggs and shards of matzo to resemble a crispy scramble -- a kind of a Jewish version of migas, the Tex-Mex tortilla-and-egg dish.  Others sweeten it with cinnamon, vanilla or raisins.   . . .  We Rappoports keep it simple:  eggs, matzo, salt and pepper, mixed into a batter and fried in oil till crisp and golden.  What emerges are crunchy, eggy pancakes that are completely irresistible.  As a kid, I took mine with syrup, although nowadays I also reach for good fruit preserves or jam."

So it clearly is a dish that can withstand some creative cookery and go savory by adding bits of sausage, peppers, cheese and ending up with a kind of Jewish scramble, or staying sweet, pancaky.  When I made a second batch and topped it with butter and maple syrup, it finally dawned on me what they reminded me of:  French toast!

As Mr. Rapoport concludes, "For whatever reason, I only eat matzo brei during Passover -- which, really, is as nonsensical as someone not eating it just because he or she isn't Jewish.  You don't have to celebrate Passover to celebrate good food."

Too true.  So, if you like French toast but don't like the mess of drippy bread slices and egg yolk dribbles all over the kitchen counter, try this incredibly fast, easy and yummy dish.

Matzo Brei
2 servings

Break 2 sheets of matzo into 1/2" pieces in a bowl.  Cover with hot tap water.  Let sit 30 seconds then drain off water.  Beat 2 large eggs in another bowl, season as you wish.  Add drained matzo.  Stir and mix well.  Scoop scant 1/4 cupfuls of the batter into hot oil or butter in a frying pan.  Cook about 1 minute, until golden, and turn once and cook until done.  Break out the pure maple syrup, add some spiced chicken sausage and fresh fruit and you've got a Feast of Spring-- Passover French Toast!

Yum!

1 comment:

Alon Perlman said...

Thanks
I forgot about this dish.
Oddly what makes the most sense is to have it right AFTER Passover.
That's when Matsos are reduced significantly in price in both Ralphe's and Von's
I've always had it savory.
And that's the way I'll probably always have it, because childhood comfort foods are that way.
Variations on seasonings I've come up with are to use powdered Soup base for salting (still tastes great with sprinkled black pepper at the end).
Chicken or chicken flavored enhances the "Egginess".
Simple onion soup base is complimentry (onion in any form, is a great addition) and Mushroom soup stock, preferably with dry Mushroom peices(need soaking time), and mushrooms of course are complementry, but I find that the texture gets too complicated with fresh onions and mushrooms.
Osem brand and Telme are my favorites, made in Israel and also (alas) discounted at the end of the season. And Kosher of course.

Well, I'm off to have shrimp pepper onion omlet on tortillas.