Pages

Saturday, November 29, 2008

Your Saturday Poem



While you're saving the American economy, take a few moments to stop by your local bookstore and pick up a few books of poetry. American poets are an endangered species and, like Detroit auto workers, need our support. The few shekels they receive when you buy their collected works or new works is a big help and the payoff for you, dear and gentle reader, is priceless.



"Summer At Blue Creek, North Carolina" by Jack Gilbert



There was no water at my grandfather's

when I was a kid and would go for it

with two zinc buckets. Down the path,

past the cow by the foundation where

the fine people's house was before

they arranged to have it burned down.

To the neighbor's cool well. Would

come back with pails too heavy,

so my mouth pulled out of shape.

I see myself, but from the outside,

I keep trying to feel who I was,

and cannot. Hear clearly the sound

the bucket made hitting the sides

of the stone well going down,

but never the sound of me.

3 comments:

Shark Inlet said...

I'm not huge into poetry, but one my kids love when I tell it to them is "Too Many Daves" by Dr. Seuss ...

Did I ever tell you that Mrs. McCave
Had twenty-three sons, and she named them all Dave?

Well, she did. And that wasn't a smart thing to do.
You see, when she wants one, and calls out "Yoo-Hoo!
Come into the house, Dave!" she doesn't get one.
All twenty-three Daves of hers come on the run!

This makes things quite difficult at the McCaves'
As you can imagine, with so many Daves.
And often she wishes that, when they were born,
She had named one of them Bodkin Van Horn.
And one of them Hoos-Foos. And one of them Snimm.
And one of them Hot-Shot. And one Sunny Jim.
Another one Putt-Putt. Another one Moon Face.
Another one Marvin O'Gravel Balloon Face.
And one of them Zanzibar Buck-Buck McFate...

But she didn't do it. And now it's too late.

franc4 said...

Those of you that are old enough to remember Kay Kaiser and his Kollege of Musical Knowledge will remember Ish Kabibble...sort of a poet in his own right. One of his works follows;
There once was a woman,
who lived in a shoe
She had so many children,
she didn't know what to do.....evidently.

Churadogs said...

Hahahahah. Love it. I think maybe Frank Zapa must have read Seuss's book before they had kids? Just guessing here.

I'm telling ya, poetry is all around us and full of wonderful payoffs. Ish Kabibble, haven't heard that name for ages.